- May 1948 The Kansas Conference voted to establish a new church in Johnson County, Kansas, at 71st and Mission Road.
- June 1948 C. Fosberg Hughes, pastor at Plymouth in Lawrence, KS, called to be the organizing pastor.
- November 1948 First worship services conducted in house across the street, which was purchased as a parsonage.
- January 1949 Covenant adopted and constitution and bylaws approved; articles of incorporation sent to the Kansas Secretary of State.
- April 17, 1949 Ground broken for the chapel with first services held in the new chapel on Labor Day, Sunday, September 4. An addition to the north was completed in September 1953.
- September 1955 W. Dieter Fleming called to Colonial. During his tenure the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Church voted to merge as the United Church of Christ. The merger was completed in 1957 and Colonial voted to join the newly-formed denomination in September 1960.
- April 1962 Rev. Fleming died. C.H. Holcomb, a retired minister, served as an interim.
- October 1962 John Biegert called to Colonial.
- April 1965 The largest building program, which included the present sanctuary and social hall, was completed and dedicated.
A Growing Church
- 1966 Michael Strah was called to be the first associate minister. He was succeeded in 1969 by David Dorhmann.
- January 1972 Rev. Biegert left for LaGrange, IL. He was succeeded in August by Rev. Hale Schroer.
- January 1974 Rev. Schroer joined the faculty at Eden Seminary and Rev. Dorhmann became senior minister. William Ryan became associate pastor in July 1975. He was succeeded by Martha Due.
- 1977 A building program was undertaken to add a two-story educational unit and a complete renovation of the facility, excluding the 1965 addition.
- June 1981 George Tormohlen was called to succeed Rev. Dorhmann, who resigned in September 1980. Associate ministers included Charles Beitler, Sharon Guffey and Lisa Gardner.
- 1993 A major renovation included installation of the pipe organ, and an elevator and social hall improvements.
The New Millenium
- August 2002 Rev. George Tormohlen retired after 21 years, the longest tenure for a senior minister at Colonial. Rev. John Beigert returned to Colonial to serve as interim minister, followed by interims Rev. Charles Erb, Rev. Dr. Bob Tucker, and Rev. George Campbell.
- April 2003 Garden of Life dedicated.
- July 2004 Rev. John Tamilio III called to be senior minister.
- June 2010 Rev. Aaron Roberts called to be senior minister.
- November 2019 Solar Panels added to the church building in response to global climate change.